Mediation is not your only choice. There are other options you may wish to consider. All involve different costs, risks and benefits that you should check into before you decide. Some of those options are:
- ♦ Negotiate with the other person on your own without a mediator
- ♦ Negotiate with the other person with the help of a family member, trusted friend, etc.
- ♦ Represent yourself in court and possibly go to trial;
- ♦ Hire a lawyer and possibly go to trial;
- ♦ Hire an appraiser for some or all of the property;
- ♦ Hire someone impartial to give an opinion about issues and then use those opinions to negotiate with the other person; and
- ♦ Take your dispute to arbitration. In arbitration, you and the other side sit down with a third person who will decide your case for you. That person can decide some or all of the issues. This is more like going to court because someone else makes the decisions for you.
Marc P. Feldman’s Divorce Mediation Center of New Jersey serves clients in Parsippany, Morristown, Morris Township, Morris Plains, Dover, Rockaway, Roxbury, ,Madison, Florham Park, Chester, Boonton, Chatham, Denville, Hanover, Florham Park, Kinnelon, Mendham, Mount Olive and all of Bergen County, Essex County, Hudson County, Middlesex County, Morris County, Passaic County, Somerset County, and Union County, New Jersey.